Monday, December 30, 2013

Sperm Whales!

When fellow Peace Corps Volunteer (PCV) Maria's parents, Sandy and Tom, visited Dominica and I found out they were going out on a whale watching tour--I asked if I could tag along. Here are some photos from the splendid day off shore Dominica on a whale watching boat with others.

Some of you who know me may wonder why I wanted to go see whales when I had already seen so many whales in the waters of Southeast Alaska? Well, I had never seen sperm whales, and I was really wanting to get out on the ocean here in the Caribbean---this short ocean trip proved to be one of the most pleasurable days so far in my charmed Caribbean life.

Dominican shore line as we leave...

I always have loved watching the ship's wake...

Dominican mountains from a distance...

the boat's skipper at work

Tom and Maria on the look out for whales....

Thar she blows!!!! (photo by Maria)

the crew lowers a sonar listening device to help locate whales by their cries...

and the whale dives....(photo by Maria) our skipper managed to get the boat up fairly close.....

My new friend, Sandy, enjoying the salt air....(she is also a knitter!!;-)

the salty warm breeze, whale sightings, and just being out on the ocean made me so happy---hence the big smile! a big thanks to Tom & Sandy (and Maria) for including me on this delightful day of their vacation here...

No comments:

Post a Comment