Thursday, August 8, 2013

What I did on my Summer "Vacation"....

I haven't posted here since June because I did not have a computer, but I now have a new Mac Book Pro and so I'm back! I came up with alot of ideas for blog posts while I was computerless, so I will make up for any lost time.

I have been busy the past 6 weeks or so with summer camps for kids on Dominica, and planning for my new volunteer "job" which starts in the fall---I will be the art teacher full time at St. Luke's Primary School here in Point Michel. I am excited about doing this next school year and have been collecting ideas and adding them to my Pinterest account.

During my leisure time--when I 'm not enjoying a local beach with swimming and snorkeling---I have been creating some fun additions to my rather bare apartment. At first I was a bit hampered--or so I thought--by lack of materials, but then I decided to use what was available.  I had collected quite a few plastic bags so I created "plarn"-- yarn made from plastic bags--- then I crocheted some baskets with the plarn.


Then I created some yarn with old t-shirts, and crocheted this rag rug to brighten my kitchen....it is a bit funky and raggedy but I like it that way, since that is the nature of rag rugs....


Of course I did bring paper and paints with me and I have been making postcards with the intention of mailing them off to family or friends in the US ---but somehow they ended up on the wall of my apartment....


and today I decided also to try out a project I hope to do with some of the children at the school--I created some beads out of paper. I used an old magazine and cut long wedges or triangles and rolled the paper over a knitting needle, glueing down the end. I added some color with markers to give them a bit of pizzaz...


I have mostly been collecting ideas for kids art/crafts that use upcycled or recycled materials (like the projects here) since our supplies are somewhat limited. I will be trying out more of my ideas in the next few weeks, and will post some crafty results here---so do check back. I am sure glad to be back online with my computer and able to post here!

1 comment:

  1. We are sure happy you're back! Love the art you've done! Hugs cp

    ReplyDelete