Thursday, March 6, 2014

Creating Carnival Masks

A teacher at St. Luke's Primary suggested to me --with Carnival coming--why not have the students create some Carnival masks?? I had never made Carnival masks, but I got online and did some research, and then created a prototype with astrobright papers and a glue stick. Then for each paper piece in the mask I created a template for the students to trace around and cut out. I showed the students each step, and they got to cutting and gluing--we went through over 40 glue sticks and a whole ream of astrobright paper with around 160 students creating masks.


a finished mask...

cutting out the "petals"

last task--paint around the eyes, which made the eyes pop a little more

applying glue....
I love how they are came out differently even thought they all used the same templates....


after the masks were all glued I had them curl each petal (or feather?) around a pencil to give the petals a slight curl which added more definition to the mask...
all finished !

the mask looks pretty great when she wears it....


6ht graders with their masks

For the grades K through 3rd, we made simpler masks with triangles (I cut those) glued to paper plates. The little ones delighted in gluing the colorful triangle to the plates. I cut bright yellow shapes to go around the eyes....

gluing triangles onto partial paper plate....



finished masks....just need the ties...


we had a Carnival "Come As You Like Day"  ---where the kids came all dressed in whatever costume they wanted and some wore their masks...


this was a fun craft project for all of us....and the kids loved it!


No comments:

Post a Comment